Accommodations for Services
What accommodations does Learning Support Services offer students to access LSS programs?
Learning Support Services (LSS) is dedicated to giving every student the academic support they need to succeed. LSS understands that everyone has a different learning style, and we do our best to accommodate students needs.
Accommodations to Learning Support Services Programs include:
- MSI Exemption: This accommodation allows a student to move straight into small group tutoring for an MSI supported class, without having to attend MSI regularly. LSS' general policy states that in order to receive tutoring for an MSI supported class, the student must first attend MSI weekly before they can move into small group tutoring. This allows students to work with small groups of 4, rather than a large group of 12 in MSI.
- Individual tutoring: This accommodation allows a student to request individual tutoring for any class for up to two hours per week. This service is not offered to students who are not registered with the DRC.
- Extra time: This accommodation gives students access to extra tutoring hours each week (group or individual). LSS policy gives each student 2 hours of tutoring per class each week. This accommodation gives students access to 3 hours of tutoring per class each week. Requests for more than 3 hours per week need to be sent by the DRC coordinators to the Directors of both Learning Support Services and the Disability Resource Center; both are required to approve requests of this type.
- Accommodations such as sessions being held in locations with reduced distractions, need for an interpreter, need for the student to have access to special devices, need for the tutor to present the material in varied modalities such as oral, written, repeatedly, etc., can also be requested.
What Does it Take to Make an Accommodations Request with Learning Support Services?
Accommodation requests must be for classes that you are currently enrolled in. LSS does not accept accommodation requests for waitlisted classes.
If you have academic accommodations, and need to access LSS Programs, please follow the steps below:
- The most important step is to register with the Disability Resource Center (DRC). They will approve your accommodations that will allow you to access LSS services (i.e. MSI waiver, individual tutoring, extra hours).
- Once you know what services you are approved for, please make your request on your MyUCSC Portal as well. This will quicken the verification process.
- Please send an email to email@example.com a minimum of two weeks prior to the date you need the service to start. This email is designated for accommodation requests only, and only select members of LSS staff have access to this account. In your email please include the following information:
- Full Name
- Student ID Number
- Accommodation(s) you are requesting
- Class(es) you are currently enrolled in and need support in
- Other needs (i.e. sessions being held in locations with reduced distractions, need for an interpreter, need adaptive equipment, need for the tutor to present the material in varied modalities, oral, written, repeatedly, etc.)
- Your DRC Coordinators name, if known
For best results, students registered with the DRC should request accommodations at least two weeks prior to the first day that the services are needed. To ensure that tutoring is available in a timely manner, students need to be proactive and begin working with a tutor at the beginning of the quarter, rather than waiting until they begin to experience academic difficulty or feel overwhelmed by the demands of the class.
The same drop policy applies to students with one-on-one tutoring. For more information on our drop policy please see our Small Group Tutoring page.
LSS will not fill accommodation requests in the following circumstances:
- Requests for any class a student is not currently enrolled in
- Requests for a course a student is on the waitlist for
- Requests for graduate courses
- Requests for tutoring to help make up an incomplete
- Requests for courses taken at any other universities or colleges
- Requests made in a course where the professor has asked LSS not to support their class
- Early start tutoring requests. Tutoring, no matter the type, begins the second Monday of the quarter
- Requests made by Graduate students and students enrolled via UC Extension/Open Campus Concurrent Enrollment will be filled only if there is space available in current programs
- Special requests can be directed to the LSS and DRC Directors if/when applicable
For all other inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 831.459.4333